I am interested in understanding the fundamental dynamical processes in the atmosphere and improving climate models, which could give us better predictive power and risk assessment of the changing climate. My research apparatus is built with a fusion of advanced statistical methods, idealized simple climate models (SCM), and state of the art coupled climate models. At present, my research is focused on assessing economic risks from the projection of future climate and social cost carbon. I have worked on several projects on climate dynamics, including the response of large-scale circulations in the warming climate, its effects on regional weather patterns and extreme events, atmospheric interactions between tropics and extratropics, and dynamical mechanisms of subseasonal variability of midlatitude jet streams.
- J. Yuan , W. Li, R. E. Kopp, and Y. Deng (2018). Response of subtropical sta-tionary waves and hydrological extremes to climate warming in boreal summer. J. Climate , in press
- R. E. Kopp, R. Shwom, G. Wagner, and J. Yuan (2016). Tipping elements and climate-economic shocks: Pathways toward integrated assessment. Earth's Future , 4: 346-372
- Jiacan Yuan, Wenghong Li, Yi Deng 2015: Amplified subtropical stationary waves in boreal summer and their implications for regional water extremes. Environmental Research Letters , 10, 104009. [pdf]
- Jiacan Yuan, Benkui Tan, Steven Feldstein, Sukyoung Lee 2015: Wintertime North Pacific teleconnection patterns: seasonal and interannual variability. Journal of Climate, 28: 8247–8263. [pdf]
- Benkui Tan, Jiacan Yuan, Yin Dai, Steven Feldstein, Sukyoung Lee 2015: The linkage between the Eastern Pacific teleconnection pattern and convective heating over the tropical western Pacific. Journal of Climate,28: 5783-5794.
- Jiacan Yuan, Sukyoung Lee and Benkui Tan 2013: Observational evidence for the mechanism of the poleward propagation of zonal wind anomalies over the North Atlantic. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 139(673):992-998. [pdf]
- Putian Zhou, Lingling Suo, Jiacan Yuan, Benkui Tan 2012: The East Pacific Wavetrain, Its Variability and Impact on the Atmospheric Circulation in the Boreal Winter. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, 29 (3), 471-483. [pdf]
- Jiacan Yuan, S.B. Feldstein, Sukyoung Lee and Benkui Tan 2011: The relationship between the North Atlantic jet and tropical convection over the Indian and western Pacific Oceans. J. Climate , 24, 6100-6113. [pdf]